How to Eliminate Volatile Organic Compounds from Your Home
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has identified volatile organic compounds, also known as VOCs, as potential threats to business owners and homeowners’ health, where these chemicals are present. Finding ways to reduce or eliminate VOCs in your Mandeville, LA home can help you to improve your indoor air quality and to protect the health and well-being of the ones you love.
Identify the Sources of VOCs in Your Home
According to the American Lung Association, VOCs can be produced by the following materials commonly found in private homes:
- Paint strippers, paints and varnishes
- Caulks and other adhesives
- Carpeting and pressed-wood flooring products
- Tobacco smoke
- Air fresheners, cleaning products and disinfectants
- Chemicals in clothing that has been dry cleaned
Steps to Take to Reduce or Eliminate VOCs
There are several ways in which you can lower the risks posed by VOCs for yourself and for your family.
- Limiting your use of products that contain VOCs or choosing products that contain low amounts of these chemical compounds will often improve the quality of air inside your home. This can have a significant positive effect on your health.
- Enlisting the help of your local HVAC company can often allow you to increase ventilation inside your home. This can reduce concentrations of VOCs and can help you maintain better indoor air quality for yourself and your family.
- Store floor treatments and furnishings outside or in a shed for a few days to allow the VOCs to disperse before they are brought into your home. Do not store items containing VOCs in garages that are attached to your living spaces.
- Schedule a checkup for your furnace every fall to make sure it is safe and functional for use during the winter.
Working with your local heating and air conditioning company can often provide you with added help in managing VOCs and other pollutants inside your home in Louisiana.
The friendly and skilled technicians at Three Rivers Services, LLC can provide you with expert help in managing your indoor air quality and keeping your HVAC systems running smoothly. We offer same-day repairs and quality installations that ensure your comfort during every season in the Northshore area. Give us a call today to learn more about our lineup of heating and cooling services and how we can help you reduce volatile organic compounds inside your home. We look forward to the chance to provide you with outstanding customer service now and in the future.
You May Also Like
Maintaining clean air inside your home or business is essential for health, comfort and productivity. Poor airflow can result in stuffy air,… Continue Reading 4 Ways You Can Improve Your Home’s Airflow in Covington, LA…
When it’s time to purchase a new oil or gas furnace for your Lacombe, LA home, you’ll want something efficient. To do… Continue Reading How Is Furnace Efficiency Determined in Lacombe, LA?…
Cats, dogs and many other furry pets are a source of endless love and companionship. Unfortunately, they sometimes tend to produce large… Continue Reading 5 HVAC Maintenance Tips for Pet Owners in Sun, LA…